The Respiratory Therapy Society of Ontario (RTSO) Student Achievement Award is given each year to a graduating student from one of the accredited programs in Respiratory Therapy in the province of Ontario, who has demonstrated outstanding professionalism during their clinical training. The award consists of an individual plaque, complimentary registration to INSPIRE, and a monetary prize (should sponsorship permit).
The successful student candidate must be graduating as a member in good standing with the RTSO. The recipient is selected for their overall professionalism demonstrated throughout clinical training, by exhibiting one or more of the following:
- leadership capability
- influence in establishing a positive clinical environment
- good communication skills with colleagues and patients
- dependability and accountability
- professional conduct in a manner consistent with established ethical standards
- promotion of the profession of Respiratory Therapy through their involvement with the RTSO, their educational institution and/or affiliated charitable organizations (ie. The Lung Association, RTWB, Heart & Stroke Foundation…)
The 2019 Student Achievement Award vote was a tie between two students, and therefore both were awarded with this honour:
- Zoe Chatzidakis (Conestoga College)
- Debashish Chowdhury (Michener Institute of Education at UHN)
We also took a moment to celebrate and acknowledge the 2018 award recipient, Christine Lao (Michener Institute of Education at UHN).
Awards were presented at the RTSO INSPIRE Educational Forum on October 19, 2019. These three individuals received complimentary registration to the conference, a plaque, and a monetary prize generously supported by AstraZeneca.
Join us in offering a hearty congratulations to Zoe, Debashish, and Christine!