The Gord Hyland Memorial Award
This award was established to recognize Gord Hyland and all of his contributions to the profession of Respiratory Therapy.
Gord Hyland was selected to the Registrar position with the College of Respiratory Therapy of Ontario (CRTO) in April 2002 at a very turbulent time for the Profession. From the beginning Gord showed true commitment to the profession and a compassion when dealing with all of the professional issues at the time.
Gord worked in the health care field for over 30 years. He originally was trained as a Medical Laboratory Technologist, and worked at Toronto Western Hospital and Toronto General Hospital in management and research for 14 years. Gord also worked as the Assistant Director of Administration and Consultation in Immunology for the Society of Laboratory Technologists, as well as working for the College of Opticians of Ontario before joining the CRTO.
Throughout Gord’s career as Registrar he always showed constant professionalism, a commitment and dedication to the RT profession, compassion and objectivity in every situation. Gord was a true leader, and his contributions will never be forgotten by the profession.
The award consists of:
- An individual plaque
- Full registration at the RTSO Educational Forum along with hotel accommodation and lunch/banquet tickets for the winner and a guest to the award presentation
The candidate must be a member in good standing with the RTSO and CRTO.
The candidate should be chosen for their great leadership skills, and should exemplify many of the characteristics we saw in Gord Hyland.
A Call for Nominations will be sent to all RTSO members.
Candidates may be nominated by any member in good standing with the RTSO and CRTO. Using the nomination form, the reasons for bestowing this award on the nominee should be outlined. The nominator is encouraged to present anecdotal evidence of the suitability of the candidate. A member may nominate only one candidate.
The nomination process is complete when the form is submitted to the RTSO by the nomination deadline.
The RTSO will verify the following information:
- a) The RTSO and CRTO membership status of the nominee and nominator
- b) The anecdotal evidence provided in the nomination through follow-up contact with the nominator if necessary
The award recipient will be selected based on the criteria and the supporting evidence outlined on the nomination form. This selection will be ratified by the Board of Directors of the RTSO.
The RTSO Head Office will:
- notify the RTSO President, who in turn, will notify the award recipients with a letter of congratulations
- make arrangements for award preparation
- notify the Editor of Airwaves for inclusion in a future issue