Registered Respiratory Therapist
Permanent, Full-time (35 hours per week)
$63,025.80 – $74,148.00 ($34.63-$40.74 per hour) + Health Benefits + Pension
The Vaughan Community Health Centre is a not-for-profit, community-governed organization providing primary health care, social services, and illness prevention programs primarily to the residents of the Western and Northern York Region. In particular, we serve those people experiencing barriers to accessing health care services due to culture, language, age, chronic illness, or the like. As part of the health promotion framework of our services, we work in partnership with other community-based health and social service organizations to address individual, family, and community needs.
The VCHC has expanded its primary health care services to Keswick, Ontario. Specifically, the VCHC has implemented a direct referral system to improve access to inter-professional care by allowing non-team-based family physicians to connect vulnerable (medically and socially complex) patients to services available at the Keswick site.
This position is to work at both the Vaughan and Keswick sites.
The Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) works as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide excellent care to clients living with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and other lung diseases. Care is provided through sharing of information, treatment options and mechanisms available to help clients manage their conditions. The RRT assesses client needs, provides care and also establishes strong communication pathways between clients, family physicians, specialists and other community resources.
- Practice in accordance with the standards of professional practice as outlined by the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) as well as within a client and family centered care model and the vision and values of VCHC.
- Lead the design, implementation and evaluation of the COPD clinic at the Vaughan site.
- Ensure that the annual performance indicators for the COPD clinic as identified by the funder are met. That is, 360 clients are served; 1,080 client visits are completed; the readmission rate for CMG = 15% for COPD clients; 100% of clients are connected to primary care; 100% of clients have access to screening with diagnostic spirometry.
- Collaborate with the Registered Kinesiologist to implement and evaluate the COPD pulmonary rehabilitation program for clients living in Northern York Region.
- Evaluates clients’ needs by conducting tests, educating clients on communicated diagnosis and determining respiratory therapy treatment plans in consultation with physicians.
- Provide care and education to adult clients, families and care providers using behaviour management techniques individually and in groups.
- Conduct individual and family assessments to identify strengths, resources, psychological factors, socio- economic impacts, educational needs and barriers to self-management.
- Follow client progress at appropriate intervals to track changes in behaviour and to reinforce positive behaviour.
- Conduct Spirometry tests to allow physician interpretation and communicate the severity of respiratory dysfunction.
- Apply the latest best-practice standards to improve the health of clients diagnosed with a respiratory illness.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team to enhance the care of clients.
- Develop, implement and revise customized self-management plans to meet individual needs in collaboration with the client, their family physician and other health care practitioners.
- Maintain accurate records of clients’ therapy in the electronic medical records, make reports to physicians and participate in chart reviews.
- Provide individual and group smoking cessation counselling to clients and include nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) for clients as deemed appropriate.
- Develop and facilitate group education sessions that may include pulmonary rehabilitation program.
- Conduct regular outreach to local stakeholders (e.g. physicians, respirologists, etc.) in order to promote the COPD, smoking cessation and other lung health programs and recruit clients for the programs.
- Seek to continuously improve the operation of the clinic by evaluating processes and workflow and participating in other quality improvement activities.
- Analyze the effectiveness of the program and help to identify any unmet needs.
- Serve as a resource to the team and community by providing information about COPD, smoking cessation and other lung-related illnesses.
- Ensure that the performance indicators identified by the funder are met for the programs and services at both sites.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Graduate of an accredited Respiratory Therapy program
- Member in good standing with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario
- Member of the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists, preferred
- Certified Respiratory Educator (CRE) designation, preferred
- Smoking cessation – TEACH trained, preferred
- 1 – 2 years of experience as a Respiratory Therapist in community or primary care setting
- Knowledge of the Chronic Disease Prevention Model and self-management programs
- Excellent computer literacy with Microsoft applications such as Excel, Word and Outlook
- Must have strong organizational, problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and with other members of the healthcare team
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment
- Passion for client care within your community and a willingness to work on-call when required
- Interest in program design and implementation and evaluation
- Demonstrated skills in applying adult education principles
- Ability to speak a second language relevant to the communities served by the VCHC is an asset (e.g. Hindi, Urdu, Russian, Italian, etc.)
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Level C
- Possesses a valid driver’s license
Please note: Interviews will occur on rolling basis; please apply as soon as you can.
The position will involve working regular office hours and two evenings. Successful candidates must undergo a Vulnerable Sector Screening reference check to the satisfaction of the Vaughan Community Health Centre.
Please send your cover letter and resume by March 19, 2021 to:
Registered Respiratory Therapist Hiring Committee
c/o Vaughan Community Health Centre
9401 Jane Street, Suite 206
Vaughan, Ontario L6A 4H7
Fax: (905) 832-0093
While applications are preferred via email, you are welcome to apply by fax, mail or in person.
Accommodations during the recruitment, selection, and interview processes will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code if needed. If you need accommodation during the hiring process, please call us at (905) 303-8490 ext.2664 to provide your contact information and a member from the hiring Committee will contact you.
Vaughan Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve. We are committed to excellence and hire based on merit.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.