RTSO Leadership Committee
To empower Respiratory Therapy leaders through education and mentorship, and optimize and advance the RRT scope of practice across health care settings to improve quality outcomes in patient care.
To benchmark respiratory care practices across Ontario, and provide frontline clinicians and leaders with best practice guidelines, educational and networking opportunities.
The Hospital-Based Leadership Committee is comprised of RTs from across Ontario who work within the hospital setting to advocate for RT practice and enhancing patient care. They meet once a month to discuss challenges and issues being faced by RTs within the hospital setting and are currently working on the following initiatives:
- Medical Delegation package and resources for point of care Ultrasound
- An appeal to the Ministry of Labour for RRTs to be included in the Legislation for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Education and resources for RRTs regarding the signs, symptoms and management of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Collaboration with the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences to identify where RRT resources are located throughout the province and how that compares to patient need
- Advocacy via Health Quality Ontario regarding the need for RRTs to be included in the planning for safe transitioning of care for respiratory patients with complex needs from hospital to community
- Comprehensive Hospital-Based RRT role description to highlight the varied roles and scope of practice of RRTs within the hospital setting
- Discussions with the Allied Health Fund regarding a learning management system for RRTs
- Representation on the MOHLTC Expert Panel for NIV and Cough Assist in Long-Term Care
- Leadership Summit Planning
- Inspire Planning